Operations and Business Development Manager – Microfinance sector
Full Time Closes: February 15, 2023
Stargate Finance Limited is a fintech company founded in 2018. The company is oversighted by competent board of directors, operating from Lusaka with a highly skilled management team and staff.
Reporting to the CEO, the Operating Manager will be responsible for leading and managing several business units including Collections and Recoveries, Loan Underwriting, Branch Support, Digital Experience and Special Projects, while promoting Customer Service Excellence. The role holder will play a pivotal role in overseeing and directing aspects of the Stargate services and delivery, branch operations and training achieving Stargate’s long-term objective of serving our customers and treating them fairly. The goal of the role is to secure the functionality of the business to drive extensive and sustainable growth efficiently.
The Operations Manager must have strong leadership skills and possess the ability to guide and inspire outstanding performance. This position will be a part of a dynamic executive team and will be responsible for contributing to the development, implementation, and administration of Stargate’s strategic goals and objectives.
Reporting directly to the CEO and attending meetings with the Board of Directors and Committees, as assigned by the CEO, the ideal candidate will be collaborative, have a high level of professionalism, excellent verbal and written communication capabilities, and great project management skills.
The successful candidate will be able to translate our vision of increased reach, impact, and community development leadership into meaningful and measurable actions. Through ownership, collaboration and innovation, and guided by our mission, the Operations Manager provides leadership, management, and vision necessary to ensure the institution has proper operational controls and people systems in place to ensure operational efficiency.
1. Building differentiated customer experience that strengthens existing relationships and creates new ones.
2. Championing staff and customer engagement through effective leadership and excellent people skills.
3. Growing and expanding electronic access channels and brand equity.
4. Integrating education into delivery of transactional services.
5. Managing staff levels and processing efficiency.
6. Promoting cross-selling and to up efforts to meet target goals among front-line positions.
7. Overseeing the callback and signature verification processes and cab fraud.
8. Providing branch operational support for Service Delivery.
9. Implementing a strong culture of service delivery in a highly professional manner.
10. Developing and implementing customer service programs. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to:
a) Promoting customer service excellence directly to potential and current customers.
b) Evaluating opportunities for new or revised products and channels for review by the CEO; and
c) Monitoring products and services of competing financial institutions and proposing modifications to Stargates services as necessary.
11. Supervising delivery of services to customers to meet the following objectives:
a) Customer transactions are processed quickly and accurately.
b) Customer inquiries are answered promptly and completely; and
c) Customer transactions are kept confidential.
12. Investigates and resolves customer complaints in coordination with appropriate members of staff.
13. Training and supervising employees in proper service techniques to maximize customer satisfaction.
14. Recommends new and revised operating procedures to the CEO to meet the following objectives:
a) Stargate assets and information are properly protected.
b) Customer files and records are complete and up to date; and
c) All activities are conducted in compliance with statutes, regulatory requirements, and Board of Directors’ resolutions.
15. Conducting performance evaluations of subordinates, gives feedback and maintains effective two-way communication with employees.
16. Supporting the CEO in the planning process of branch operations in accordance with the approved operational plan. Analyzing and documenting progress toward branch operational targets/objectives. Regular (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual) reporting to CEO.
17. Overseeing branches to assure efficient use of branch resources (staffing, fixed assets, time allocation – including leave planning, travel, cost control, etc.) and escalating any efficiency issues to CEO if existing strategies may not be working.
18. Building capacity of branch teams in the implementation of their respective plans using a range of methods (formal training or information sessions as well as coaching and mentoring both in person and remotely); assuring that branch management and staff capacity building plans are implemented; liaising with other departments to gain support for branch teams.
19. Providing input into the design of new products and services as required.
20. Assuring companies’ loan portfolio excellent quality and implementing appropriate strategies to achieve that, following up on arrears in an appropriate, efficient and timely fashion.
21. Overseeing branch compliance with the approved budgets and tracking branch-level Operational efficiency and Branch quality of operations. monitoring should include both desk review of branch reports, regular field trips, including visits to branch offices, 3rd party meetings, and individual clients as well as relevant documentation spot checks (e.g. client cash flows, client repayment booklets, etc.); at least a half of the job working time should be spent in the field.
22. Performing any other duties as assigned by the CEO.
1. Degree in business, finance, economics, or related field.
2. Must have good knowledge and experience of microfinance operations and service delivery maintenance. At least 5 years of experience in a management position, preferably in microfinance, banking, or a related industry.
3. Excellent communication skills
4. Good leadership, supervision, analytical skills as well as the ability to propose improvements in operational processes and procedures to achieve increased efficiency. We are aiming for more digital processes.
5. Be a good trainer, facilitator, mentor, and coach.
NB: Only those that qualify will be shortlisted.
Send your CV and a detailed cover letter to email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org