Initiative Manager –Artisanal & Natural Products
Terms of Reference
1. SUMMARY OF JOB POSITION
2. ABOUT PROSPERO ZAMBIA
Prospero is a UK Aid funded private sector development entity designed to incentivize investment in innovation that will change the way that market systems work and create new growth opportunities for MSMEs. We focus on the following high-growth potential sectors:
▪ Food and Agriculture: Increasing competitiveness and value of Zambian food products in end consumer markets.
▪ Mining and Mining Services: Increasing the sustainable and inclusive economic impact of mining in Zambia.
▪ Tourism and Hospitality: Increasing the value and proportion of tourist revenues captured by local businesses.
• Investment Services: Increasing access to sources of impact investment finance for growth-oriented businesses
• Business Services: Increasing access to business services that support growth-oriented businesses.
We partner with leading private sector players, government agencies and business associations to design synergistic initiatives that support strong business model development, promote transformative financial services, attract quality investors and foster enabling business and investment environments. We work at the intersection of market system development and the impact investment ecosystem, recognizing that enterprise growth at scale requires access to substantial and sustainable sources of commercial finance
Prospero seeks to employ an Artisanal and Natural Products Initiative Manager under the Tourism and Hospitality sector .
3. SPECIFIC CONTEXT OF THE ROLE
The Artisanal & Natural Products (ANP)Initiative Manager plays a pivotal role in implementing the organisation’s annual strategy and approach toward inclusive economic growth in Zambia. The Initiative Manager takes full responsibility of management and delivery of the ANP initiative strategy in terms of strategy development,sector engagement, identification and development of ambitious, integrated and transformative interventions, recruitment of credible intervention partners and oversight of overall implementation of initiative activities.
Initiative Manager –Artisanal & Natural Products
Location of assignment Lusaka and some travel within Zambia (in line with Prospero COVID-19 policy) Sector Tourism & Hospitality Initiative Artisanal & Natural Products(ANP) Reports to Sector Lead Anticipated start date December 2020 Duration of contract Initial period of December2020-March 2022
2. He/she will collaborate across organisation sectors to identify and implement initiatives wherever possible.
4. SCOPE OF WORKStrategy:
• Developing an annual initiative strategy and implementation plan in conjunction with the sector head and technical advisors. • Ensure sector Associates and other key stakeholders are well-versed with the Prospero strategy and its goals.
• Ensure initiative strategies, work plans and intervention partnerships adhere to Prospero’s overall strategy and timelines.
• Contribute to the development of M&E frameworks and initiative results chains.
• Develop and nurture strategic intervention partner relationships.Procurement and implementation oversight:
• Ensure familiarity and adherence to Prospero grant/contract mechanisms and procurement rules, in collaboration with the Procurement and Compliance(P&C) team.
• Collaborate with Sector Assistant and P&C team to ensure ToRs/Calls for Proposals/other grant solicitation mechanisms are developed and successfully deployed.
• Ensure ANP Initiative compliance with Prospero manuals and FCDO regulations
• Monitoring performance and guiding implementation strategy for sector teams. Outreach, Communication and Reporting:
• Support information and communication assets gathering (stories, photographs, etc.) from the earliest stages of interventions.
• Regularly create content for Prospero’s outward facing communication efforts.
• Ensure that regular reporting is complete and on-time (quarterly and annual reports, as well as annual review contributions).
• Ensure that M&E data is used to for learning and decision-making. Management and Administration:
• Management of the Associate team and external consultants.
• Participation in sector team meetings.
• Review and approval of grant and contract agreements.
• Review and approval of grant milestones/contract deliverable completion documentation.
5. REQUIRED/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will have a relevant university degree and a minimum of 8years of experience working on MSME growth, private sector or donor-funded projects, market systems development, value chain development, grants and contracts management, financial and technical reporting experience and a strong understanding of the artisanal and natural products sector in Zambia. Direct experience working within the ANP sector in Zambia and having a strong network of contacts will be a significant advantage.
• Ability to independently strategize and develop detailed strategies/work plans/budgets to achieve objectives.
• Experience in a managerial role (within business, NGO, donor funded projectorgovernment agency) of private sector development or economic development consultancy working directly with private sector partners.
• Successful experience interacting with dynamic private sector partners at a senior operations/management level Desirable professional characteristics:
• Experience of working directly or indirectly in the ANP private sector
• Dynamic, driven personality with a keen sense for strategy
• Experience managing project delivery through third party partners and consultants
• Familiarity with FCDO(or other donor) reporting requirements
• Understanding of the principles of market systems development (M4P) as an approach to economic development
• Well-versed in the use of Microsoft office(Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
APPLICATION GUIDELINES We invite all interested candidates to submit the following documents:
• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• Letter of Motivation outlining how your experience, skills, and professional networks fit with the required job description. Please clearly state your expected remuneration. Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 19 2020. Clearly state, ANP Initiative Manager in the subject line. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Application email or URL: email@example.com